Esek Hopkins House
- Esek Hopkins House
From Providence: A Citywide Survey of Historic Resources by the Rhode Island Historical Preservation Commission:
Esek Hopkins House 1756 et seq.: In 1751 Hopkins moved from Newport to Providence, where he purchased 200 acres of land. The land was unsuitable for farming, and Hopkins continued to pursue his maritime interests. By 1756 he had completed the 1½-story gambrel-roof portion of the dwelling, which continued to house his family during his tenure as Commander-in-Chief of the newly created American navy from 1775 to 1777. Following his dismissal by the Continental Congress, Hopkins served in the Rhode Island General Assembly until 1785. Following his death in 1802, his descendants added to the southwest of the original structure a 2-story, gable-roof section and a 1-story eli. Its present state reflects both the alterations made by Hopkins’s descendants in the nineteenth century and the restorations of 1908, when the house was given to the city, and the late 1950s, Since 1908, the house has been operated as a museum.