Image of Eastern Airlines resuming commercial service from Theodore Francis Green State Airport in Warwick in 1946.
The Army Air Force assumed control of the airport on April 1, 1942, when the airport became the Hillsgrove Army Air Base. It was a fighter base for the First Army Air Force and a transition-training base for officers after graduation from flying school. On September 26, 1945, control of the facility was returned to the state of Rhode Island and became Theodore Francis Green State Airport once again. Excerpted from: Rhode Island Airport Corporation Airport HistorySee also:
Commission to Study the Rhode Island Airport System, 1972