Image of the Eagle Mills (erected in 1820) located in Woonsocket, Rhode Island.
The Eagle Mill was established in 1831 and occupied a site between Clinton Street and the river just south of the Providence & Worcester Railroad Bridge in the area of the current Main Street Bypass. The large stone mill contained 12,464 spindles, 440 looms and 250 workers. The mill was powered by water from Clinton Pond producing 175 horsepower supplemented by an 80 horsepower steam engine.
Source: History of Providence County Rhode Island edited by Richard M. Bayles and published by W. W. Peston & Co., New York, 1891.
Rhode Island State Archives
Copyright is in the public domain unless otherwise specified. We reserve the right to restrict reproduction of materials due to preservation concerns.
Still Image Item Type Metadata
"Eagle Mills," in Virtual Exhibits, Item #359, http://sos.ri.gov/virtualarchives/items/show/359 (accessed February 27, 2015).