Image of the Berkeley Mills in Cumberland, Rhode Island.
Berkeley is situated about half mile below Ashton, on the east side of Providence and Worcester Railroad, which runs between the village and the Blackstone River. The name of the place was bestowed upon it by R. H. Ives, in honor of Bishop Berkeley. The elegant mill here was erected in 1872. Its dimensions are 300 x 90 feet, four stories high, with an L 20 x 90 feet, three stories high. It contains a beautiful Corliss engine of five hundred horse power. The mill contains 40,000 spindles and manufactures the finest class of cotton goods, -- cambric muslins and fine shirtings. The company have numerous fine tenements for the accommodation of their employees. The mill is connected by telegraph with Ashton and Lonsdale. The firm-title of the company is the 'Berkeley Manufacturing Company', Goddard & Page, Agents, and A. P. Sisson, Superintendent. Source: History of the State of Rhode Island with Illustrations Albert J. Wright, Printer, pp. 110-117See also:
RI Historical Preservation Commission- Historic and Architectural Resources of Cumberland, Rhode Island, Revised 1998