Browse Items (797 total)


Image of the Oaklawn School for Girls.In 1880, eighteen acres were purchased from Job Wilbur to build the Oak Lawn Girls School on the New London Turnpike at what is now Brayton Avenue. This spot was picked because of its distance from the…


Images of excerpts from the Board of Charities and Corrections annual reports, 1912-1913.Plans for a state farm reflect the adoption by the state of Rhode Island of some of the current thinking affecting social services. The selection of a…


Aerial image of the Howard complex.In 1954, an active public-relations effort, including pamphlets detailing the overcrowding, articles in the Journal, and radio spots, resulted in passage of a bond issue. As a result, the J. Varley Female Geriatric…


A Mansard roof cottage on the westerly side of Pontiac Avenue, is owned and occupied by a Prison officer by the name of Foye. Both he and his wife are employees of the State he being at the Prison and she being night watch at the Women's Reformatory.…


This small cottage is on the westerly side of Pontiac Avenue, beyond the State Hospital and is occupied by a Mr. and Mrs. Caswell, he being an officer of the State Prison. This house, on account of its being surrounded by State land and contiguous…


This is a large cottage on the easterly side of Pontiac Avenue, beyond the State Hospital for Mental Diseases, built in the 90's by a Mr. Haslam, as a home for himself and wife who worked at the State Institutions - the·man as the teamer and…


This is a very attractive cottage on the westerly side of Pontiac Avenue, formerly owned by Walter Jennison and sold to Deputy Warden Crosby of the State Prison, who upon his departure from the State employ sold it. This attractive cottage is…


This is a very historic Colonial home on Sockanosset Road, built in the 1700's, occupied for years as a farm house, purchased by the State and was, until about the year 1893, from then on used as the residence for the Chaplain of the State…


This house faces on Sockanosset Road and is contiguous to #18 [The Washburn House] on our list. It is occupied at the present time by the herdsman at the State Prison barn, Mr. Creasy, whose present wife was formerly a State employee working many…


This small single one and one-half story cottage is owned by a·family by the name of Washburn. Both of these people formerly worked at the State Institutions. They have one son who is an officer on the Providence Police Force. As this building…


This building is not owned by the State. It is the home of the Misses May whose father was former Deputy Super­intendent of the State Infirmary. One of the May girls, the elder, works in New York City. The younger one works at Brown University.…


Facing on Sockanosset Road is a small one and a half story cottage. It is owned by the State and is on land owned by the State Prison. It is the home of Mr. Conn, one of the older employees of the State Prison.Excerpt from: Scrapbook, c. 1930 of…


This building is a large Colonial house on the westerly side of Pontiac Avenue, on the corner of Sockanosset Road and Pontiac Avenue. It was purchased a few years ago, remodeled, renovated, to house officers of the Prison.Excerpt from: Scrapbook,…


This is a large farm house on the easterly side of Pontiac Avenue . It was purchased with the adjoining acres of land from a farmer by the name of Jennison, for housing the officers of the Prison. At the present time it is occupied by two families -…


This is a Colonial cottage on Pontiac Avenue, facing the Prison. There is a kitchen attached thereto. This house, with its farm with a large number of acres was purchased from Joe Potter. This building formerly housed, in one part, the Deputy Warden…


This is a building built in a distance from the main highway, Pontiac Avenue, and was built by the State for the housing of Prison officers. It is a double tenement and is used at the present time for Prison officers.Excerpt from: Scrapbook, c. 1930…


This house faces Pontiac Avenue and the Prison. It is located on Prison Farm land. It houses, at the present time, a Mrs. McVey whose husband was shot and killed in a prison riot. She has since been furnished a living place by the State. The upper…


Number nine is a small cottage facing the State Prison, and for many years was used as the home of the "Boss Farmer" for the prison. At present it is occupied by a Mr. Potter of the Institutional Farms. Number ten is a larger edifice adjoining…


This building was formerly a barn, a part of the estate of house #7 [Druggist and Store Keeper residence]. It was remodeled and added to, and in the days of Charles E. Blais, the Engineer for the State Institutions, was greatly improved, beautified,…


This house is now occupied by the personnel of the Power Plant and Mr. Deering of the State Reformatory for Men. It was formerly used as the home for the Druggist and Store Keeper of the State Farm, and a Mr. Corliss who occupied the part nearest the…

Virtual Exhibits