Browse Items (107 total)


This building is a large Colonial house on the westerly side of Pontiac Avenue, on the corner of Sockanosset Road and Pontiac Avenue. It was purchased a few years ago, remodeled, renovated, to house officers of the Prison.Excerpt from: Scrapbook,…


This is a large farm house on the easterly side of Pontiac Avenue . It was purchased with the adjoining acres of land from a farmer by the name of Jennison, for housing the officers of the Prison. At the present time it is occupied by two families -…


This is a Colonial cottage on Pontiac Avenue, facing the Prison. There is a kitchen attached thereto. This house, with its farm with a large number of acres was purchased from Joe Potter. This building formerly housed, in one part, the Deputy Warden…


This is a building built in a distance from the main highway, Pontiac Avenue, and was built by the State for the housing of Prison officers. It is a double tenement and is used at the present time for Prison officers.Excerpt from: Scrapbook, c. 1930…


This house faces Pontiac Avenue and the Prison. It is located on Prison Farm land. It houses, at the present time, a Mrs. McVey whose husband was shot and killed in a prison riot. She has since been furnished a living place by the State. The upper…


Number nine is a small cottage facing the State Prison, and for many years was used as the home of the "Boss Farmer" for the prison. At present it is occupied by a Mr. Potter of the Institutional Farms. Number ten is a larger edifice adjoining…


This building was formerly a barn, a part of the estate of house #7 [Druggist and Store Keeper residence]. It was remodeled and added to, and in the days of Charles E. Blais, the Engineer for the State Institutions, was greatly improved, beautified,…


This house is now occupied by the personnel of the Power Plant and Mr. Deering of the State Reformatory for Men. It was formerly used as the home for the Druggist and Store Keeper of the State Farm, and a Mr. Corliss who occupied the part nearest the…


This is the Night Watch Cottage, so-called, which is being used by the State Hospital for Mental Diseases to house employees . This building was a part of the original Alms House which ante-dated by many years the State Infirmary which was known as …


A double tenement cottage facing Pontiac Avenue and the State Hospital. It was built and owned by Henry A. Jones, M. D., who rented this home to the employees of the State. One occupant was Dr. Sartwell, and the other a store keeper. It was purchased…


This is a house now being used as a residence of the Superintendent of the State Infirmary. It was built and owned by Henry A. Jones, M. D., then known as the Resident Physician of the State Institutions. This house was sold by him to the State for a…


This home is now classified as the home of the Director. It has been erected within three decades, to furnish a home for the Superintendent of the State Farm, F. B. Jewett, M.D. Facing the· State Infirmary, it became the logical home for the…


This is the house now occupied by the Superintendent of the State Hospital for Mental Diseases. It faces Pontiac Avenue, and was formerly the residence of the Howard family, and later when this estate was sold to the State for institutional purposes…


The Staff House, so-called, was formerly the main office for the State Hospital for Mental Diseases. The lower floor on the right going in was the Superintendent's office. The left was the general reception room and office. The second floor was…


Image of the grounds and buildings that made up the Sockanosset School for Boys.In 1880, eighteen acres were purchased from Job Wilbur to build the Oak Lawn Girls School on the New London Turnpike at what is now Brayton Avenue. This spot was…


Image of boys working in the Shoe Shop at the Sockanosset School for Boys.In 1880, eighteen acres were purchased from Job Wilbur to build the Oak Lawn Girls School on the New London Turnpike at what is now Brayton Avenue. This spot was picked…


Images of boys exercising at the Sockanosset School for Boys.In 1880, eighteen acres were purchased from Job Wilbur to build the Oak Lawn Girls School on the New London Turnpike at what is now Brayton Avenue. This spot was picked because of its…


Image of the Printing Department at the Sockanosset School for Boys.In 1880, eighteen acres were purchased from Job Wilbur to build the Oak Lawn Girls School on the New London Turnpike at what is now Brayton Avenue. This spot was picked because…


Image of one corner of the kitchen at the Sockanosset School for Boys.In 1880, eighteen acres were purchased from Job Wilbur to build the Oak Lawn Girls School on the New London Turnpike at what is now Brayton Avenue. This spot was picked…


Image of the Mason Shop at the Sockanosset School for Boys.In 1880, eighteen acres were purchased from Job Wilbur to build the Oak Lawn Girls School on the New London Turnpike at what is now Brayton Avenue. This spot was picked because of its…

Virtual Exhibits