News and Events
PROVIDENCE, RI – Secretary of State Nellie M. Gorbea announced today that there will be a special election in Providence Ward 3 to fill the seat of former City Councilperson Kevin Jackson on Wednesday, August 16, 2017.
"We are working closely with the Board of Elections and the Providence Board of Canvassers to make sure that eligible voters in Providence's Third Ward can elect their new representative in city government in an election process that is fair, fast, and accurate," Secretary Gorbea said.
State law authorizes the Providence Board of Canvassers to order a special election to fill a vacancy. The declaration period for candidates interested in running for the Providence Ward 3 seat will take place on Friday, June 2 and Monday, June 5, 2017. A special primary election will take place on July 12, 2017 if more than one candidate from either party qualifies for the ballot.
Special Election Calendar:
• June 2 and 5: Period for candidates to file Declarations of Candidacy with the Providence Board of Canvassers
• June 6: Deadline for endorsements to be filed by party committee
• June 12: Last day to register to vote for the primary
• June 14: Deadline for candidates to submit nomination papers to Providence Board of Canvassers
• June 21: Last day to submit a mail ballot application for the primary
• June 22 - July 11: Emergency ballot period for the primary
• July 12: PRIMARY
• July 17: Last day to register to vote for the election
• July 26: Last day to submit a mail ballot application for the election
• July 27 - August 15: Emergency ballot period for the election
• August 16: ELECTION
News Contact:Senior Advisor &
Director of Communications