En Español | Search this site: Print 

Contact Us

Elections & Voting
148 West River Street
Providence, RI 02904-2615
Phone: (401) 222-2340
Fax: (401) 222-1444
TTY: 711


Open to the public
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


How to Obtain a Free Voter ID

You will not need a Voter ID card if you already have a valid and current Photo ID. If you need a Voter ID, we will provide you with a free one. You must provide one of these proofs of identity:

  • Employee ID card;
  • ID card provided by a commercial establishment;
  • Credit or debit card;
  • Military ID card;
  • Student ID card;
  • Health club ID card;
  • Insurance plan ID card;
  • Public housing ID card;

If you don’t have one of those proofs of identity, you must bring one of the following documents. It must include your name and be dated since November 6, 2012, unless the document is intended to be of a permanent nature such as a pardon or discharge:

  • Utility bill;
  • Bank statement;
  • Government paycheck;
  • Document issued by a government agency;
  • Official elections document issued by a government agency, dated for the election in which the registered voter is providing it as proof of identity;
  • Voter notification issued by a governmental agency;
  • Public housing ID card issued by a governmental agency;
  • Lease or rental statement or agreement issued by a governmental agency;
  • Student ID card issued by a governmental institution/agency or non-governmental institution/agency;
  • Tuition statement or bill issued by a governmental agency;
  • Insurance plan card or drug discount card issued by a government agency;
  • Discharge certificates, pardons, or other official documents issued to the registered voter by a governmental agency in connection with the resolution of a criminal case, indictment, sentence or other matter;
  • Public transit authority senior citizen and disabled discount ID card issued by a governmental agency;
  • ID documents issued by governmental disability agencies;
  • ID documents issued by homeless shelters and other temporary or transitional facilities;
  • Drug prescription issued by a government doctor or other governmental health care provider;
  • Property tax statement issued by a governmental agency;
  • Vehicle registration issued by a governmental agency; or
  • Vehicle certificate of ownership issued by a governmental agency

Rules & Regs for Obtaining a Free Voter ID