NAICS stands for North American Industry Classification System
It is the standard used by federal statistical agencies in classifying business establishments for the purpose of collecting, analyzing, and publishing statistical data related to the U.S. business economy.
Why do we use six-digit NAICS codes?
We are asking all business corporations, limited liability companies, and non-profit corporations to report a six-digit NAICS code on the entity’s annual report. A complete and valid NAICS code contains six digits and provides the most classification detail. NAICS codes allows us to:
- Accurately categorize your business
- Provide insight to economic trends and the types of businesses in R.I.
- Collect, analyze, and publish statistical data related to the R.I. economy
- Assist policy and resource agencies to identify and contact businesses within a specific industry
- Provide businesses with tools to quickly and accurately conduct research on specific industries
How can NAICS codes help RI’s businesses?
Accurately reported NAICS codes can help businesses to:
- Identify the types of business conducted in R.I.
- Analyze and review statistical data related to the R.I. economy
- Quickly and accurately conduct research on a specific industry
- Make informed business decisions based on accurate statistical data
We need your help!
Be accurate! It is important to select the six-digit NAICS code that best represents the primary type of business or activity for your entity. Download the list of codes here. If you don’t find your business or activity type on our list, check the NAICS code website.
How to select the correct NAICS code for your entity?
The list we offer contains a sampling of codes from each industry type. There are thousands of NAICS codes. If you don’t find your business or activity on our list, check the NAICS code website before you identify your activity as unable to classify.