Rhode Island Development Council (1951-1974) | State Archives Catalog
The Rhode Island Development Council was created per 1951 Public Law Chapter 2732
(AN ACT CREATING WITHIN THE EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENT A DIVISION TO BE KNOW AS THE RHODE ISLAND DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL AND AMENDING CHAPTER 660 OF THE PUBLIC LAWS, 1939 AS THE “ADMINISTRATIVE ACT OF 1939” AS AMENDED).
The general purpose of the council was to guide and accomplish a coordinated, efficient and economic development of the state, which would be, in accordance with present and future needs and resources, and best promote the health, prosperity and welfare of the people of the state of Rhode Island.
The executive director was appointed by the governor. Within the council was an advisory commission consisting of seven members. The council became the successor agency to the Rhode Island Port and Industrial Development Commission (created per 1948 public law chapter 2109).
Besides abolishing the Port and Industrial Development Commission, the act also abolished the state planning board vested in the director of Public Works (1948 Chapter 2109) and the Governor’s Fiscal Advisory Council(1950 ch 2524).
The Development Council was abolished by 1974 Public Law Chapter 100 which created the Department of Economic Development (AN ACT ESTABLISHING A STATE DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT) This act also establishes the Howard Development Corporation and the Rhode Island Port Authority and Economic Development Corporation. Also within the department was also established an economic development council consisting eleven members.