This series contains photographs that document the cities and towns of Rhode Island through the Bureau of Information and subsequently Recreational Advertising. The Bureau of Information was established in the office of the secretary of state per Chapter 1035 of the 1927 Public Laws and mandated to “ promote the further development of the natural resources of the state and the collection, preparation, publication and distribution of information and statistics relating to its natural, historical, agricultural and industrial advantages.” From 1939-1950 the office was called Publicity and Advertising. From 1951 to 1954 it was known as Recreational Advertising. In 1954 the function of this office was transferred from the Department of State to the Development Council which was charged with similar functions.
Subgroups under Department of State
Records filed under "Photographs"