337 Westminster Street
Providence, RI 02903
Phone: (401) 222-2353
Fax: (401) 222-3199
Open to the public
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Chapter 698 of the 1939 Public Laws established the Industrial Rehabilitation Commission whose purpose was to make a thorough and scientific study of the most practical approach to community industrial development problems. The commission had the authority to invite and to bring about the location of new industries within the state. The commission was comprised of seven qualified electors to be appointed by the governor and serve at his pleasure. The commission was to submit periodic reports to the governor with recommendations of its findings.
Per 1940 Public Law Chapters 915 and 916 the Industrial Rehavilitation Commission’s name changed to the Industrial Commisssion.
Per 1944 Public Law Chapter 1392 the commission appointed a chairman and received an annual appropriation for the salary of a secretary and traveling expenses of members.
Chapter 2109 of the 1948 Public Laws established the Port and Industrial Development Commission and abolished the Industrial Commission. This commission consisted of nine qualified electors, appointed by the governor which included a chairman and vice chairman as well as an executive director with a fixed salary. All records, documents and furnishings were to be transferred from the Industrial Commission to the Port and Industrial Development Commission.
This statute also abolished the State Planning Board (created per Chapter 660 of the 1939 Public Laws) and the Commission on Coordination and Execution of Postwar Programs (created per Chapter 1596 of the 1945 Public Laws).