337 Westminster Street
Providence, RI 02903
Phone: (401) 222-2353
Fax: (401) 222-3199
Open to the public
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The Harbor Commission was created per 1876 Public Law Chapter 556 (AN ACT TO ESTABLISH A BOARD OF HARBOR COMMISSIONERS) passed April 20, 1876.
The board comprised three members appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the senate. Functions and duties of the board included marking out harbor lines where none had already been established, have the care and supervision of all public harbors and tide waters of the state, and cause to be removed any unauthorized obstructions and encroachments. The board also supervised the surveying and platting of public waters, regulating the depositing of mud or other substances, fined offenders, and authorized any building of wharves or other structures over the public waters. The board was required to file annual reports with the General Assembly at its January session.
Duties of the commission were transferred to the Department of Public Works, division of harbors and rivers pursuant to 1935 Public Law Chapters 2188 and 2250.