Davol Rubber Company, Providence. (1874-) | State Archives Catalog
The Davol Rubber Company was founded in Providence in 1874 to produce rubber medical and surgical devices, such as hot water bottles and catheters. In 1934, the company began the manufacture of the Foley catheter.
Davol Rubber Company is an historic industrial site at Davol Square, at Point and Eddy Streets in Providence, Rhode Island. The building was constructed in 1880 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. It is located adjacent to the historic South Street Station, which is currently being renovated.
In 1971 the Davol Rubber Company opened a new facility in nearby Cranston, Rhode Island. The company was acquired by C.R. Bard, Inc. of New Jersey in 1980. The Davol Company, as it is currently known, is now located in Warwick, Rhode Island.