Washington Bridge Commission and Predecessors (1792-1838) | State Archives Catalog
Name: Washington Bridge Commission and Predecessors (1792-1838)
Historical Note: The Washington Bridge, which spans the Seekonk River between Providence and East Providence, was first opened to traffic in 1793. John Brown and a number of other private investors had received a charter of incorporation for the Providence South Bridge Society. Since then there have been four more bridges at the same location. In 1807, the name was changed to the Providence Washington Bridge Society. In October 1815, following a gale that destroyed the existing bridge, a new charter was granted to petitioners incoprorating the society under the new name of Washington Bridge Society. However, a new bridge was not completed until sometime in the 1820s.