337 Westminster Street
Providence, RI 02903
Phone: (401) 222-2353
Fax: (401) 222-3199
Open to the public
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors was created by Public Law Chapter 2611 in 1938 (formerly 38-H-761 approved April 23, 1938). "An Act to Regulate the Practices of Professional Engineering and Land Surveying; Creating a State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors; Defining its Powers and Duties; Imposing Certain Duties upon the State and Political Subdivisions Thereof in Connection with Public Work; and Providing Penalties Another act was passed in 1961 Public Law Chapter 160 (Formerly 61-S-335 approved June 10, 1961) which tightened regulations. "An Act to Regulate the Practice of Engineering; Provide for the Registration of Qualified Persons as Engineers and the Certification of Engineers-in-Training; Define the terms 'Engineer', 'Professional Engineer' and 'Engineer-in-Training',; Create a State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Provide for the Appointment and Compensation of its Members." Amendments to this act appear in 1962 Public Law Chapter 78 (formerly 62-S-139A approved April 17, 1962) and 1978 Public Law Chapter 220 (formerly 78-S-2695 approved May 10, 1978.
The board at the time consisted of 5 engineers (expanded to 7 members in 1978) all appointed by the Governor for a term of five years. Board members received a per diem sum and traveling and incidental expenses. The board was required to hold 6 regular meetings per year and special meetings as allowed by the by-laws. The board was required to keep a record of its proceedings and all applications for registration. The board was required to transmit an annual report to the Governor as well as a statement of receipts and expenses. They were also required to publish a complete roster showing names and last known addresses of all registered engineers in the state. The board had the power to issue certificates of registration which were sealed by the chairman and secretary of the board. They also had the power to suspend, refuse to renew, or revoke a certificate of registration.
In 1990 Public Law 330 (formerly 90-S-2838B amended, approved July 12, 1990) split the Board into the Board of Registration for Professional Engineers (see GL 5-8-3) and the Board of Registration for Professional Land Surveyors (see GL 5-8.1-5) into two distinct entities within the Department of Business Regulation. In 1991 Public Law 304 (formerly 91-H-6532A amended, approved June 18, 1991) brought membership back down to five and established it as an independent body no longer under the Department of Business Regulation. All duties and powers of the respective boards are further clarified under title 5, chapter 8 of the General Laws.