337 Westminster Street
Providence, RI 02903
Phone: (401) 222-2353
Fax: (401) 222-3199
Open to the public
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Records contain the RI Historical Resources Archive for Chepachet Bridge No. 100; the Memorandum of Agreement re: sidewalk repairs to Chepachet Bridge No. 100; two CD-R discs containing seventeen (17) TIFF files documenting the bridge presently (2010), historical photographs of the bridge and historical enigineer drawings.
The Chepachet Bridge is a single-span, reinforced concrete, barrel arch bridge built as a replacement for a late 19th-century single-span metal deck plate girder bridge supported by granite ashlar abutments. This structure measures 134' in length (including approach walls) and an overall width of 60' (as widened in 1937). The original 1920 bridge had an overall width of 40'. The span is 20' in length with a clearance of 20' at normal water levels. The roadway is 42' in width and bound by reinforced concrete curbs. Sidewalks, currently blocked from pedestrian use, are 7'-wide. Coursed granite ashlar masonry facing over concrete was obtained from the abutments of the earlier bridge. The southwest wingwall is integral with a stone-faced concrete outflow structure. The southeast wingwall is attached to the foundation of the 1814 Chepachet Manufacturing Company picker house (aka the Stone Mill).
Current 36"-high, four-bar pipe railings date to a 1937 widening project carried out by the DPW as part of general improvements to the Putnam Pike in this area. The sidewalks of the original 1920 bridge were carried over the arch drum. As improved in the 1937 widening project, reinforced concrete cantilevered brackets attached to the spandrel walls support 7'-wide sidewalks. This allowed the DPW to incorporate some of the former sidewalk space into the new 42'-wide roadway. Two small, ceramic (blue letters on white field) original identification plaques survive. At the northwest comer of the bridge is a plaque reading 100; at the southwest comer is a plaque reading Rhode Island. The plaques for the other two comers are missing.