The Select Commission on the Future of Solid Waste Management in Rhode Island was created on September 22, 1992 by Governor Bruce Sundlun through Executive Order 92-22. The Select Commission was charged with examining the following issues:
1. The state's proper role in solid waste management.
2. The mix of private and public finance, iperation, and ownership of solid waste facilities which is most appropriate.
3. The steps necessary to maximize source reduction, reuse and recycling of solid waste.
4. The appropriate methods to ensure that affordable, safe, and environmentally protective solid waste disposal is available for the remaining waste.
5. The appropriate funding mechanism for these facilities and activities.
6. Policies which enable a system of solid waste management to remain viable and consistent.
Scope and Contents: Accession includes various reports and documents by multiple state agencies and companies primarily related to solid waste management and waterways in Rhode Island. Also includes correspondence and clippings