337 Westminster Street
Providence, RI 02903
Phone: (401) 222-2353
Fax: (401) 222-3199
Open to the public
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Account of Indian deeds, agreements & conveyances to / between owners of original lands known collectively as the Narragansett Country or the Proprietors of Narragansett as recorded by Captain John Fones / Foanes, in his capacity as justice & permanent clerk of the Court of Record during the Andros’ Government. Appointed, June, 1686. C#00209
Captain John Fones resident of Newport (1659). Jamestown, & Kings Town. Engaged as Deputy from Jamestown in the General Assembly, May 6, 1679, May 4, 1680, & May 3, 1781. Aug. 24, 1683 chosen Conservator of his Majesty’s Peace in Kings Town. March 6, 1687/8 Justice of the Inferior Court of Common Please; Mar. 23, 1696/7 appointed to audit accounts of the Colony; May 3, 1698 chosen deputy from Kingstown; Oct. 26, 1698, chosen Assistant; Feb. 14, 1698/9 Assistant engaged. Died Dec. 20, 1703. October Session held at Warwick, 1727, book belonging ordered to be transferred to the Governor until next session of the legislature with General Recorder providing for discharge of. June Session, 1728, John Wickes, Captain Joseph Whipple & Captain Nicholas Carr appointed a committee to search and inspect the records lately kept by John Fones and make return to next session of assembly.
C#0204 – Rhode Island Colony Records; C#0260, Proceedings of the General Assembly; Austin, John Osborne, The Genealogical Dictionary of Rhode Island, Baltimore, Genealogical Publishing Col, Inc., 1982, p. 79
Dates: 1659 – 1705
Other Names: Proprietors of Narragansett
Extent: 1 volume 11 ½” x 16 ¼”, 120 pp.; 0.15 cubic feet
Types of Materials: hand written manuscript / microfilm
Finding Aids: index